Animal Info - Bolivia


Contents

Threatened Species, Environmental and Social Data (Mammals, Biodiversity/Ecosystems, Population, Area/Land Use, Protected Lands, Economy, Education), References and Links


Threatened Species

Threatened Species: The following list includes all mammals which occur in Bolivia and are rated as Critically Endangered (CR), Endangered (EN) or Vulnerable (VU) in the 2004 IUCN Red List of Threatened Animals

  • Critically Endangered:
    • Aceramarca Gracile Mouse Opossum (Gracilinanus aceramarcae). (Endemic to Bolivia.)
    • Short-tailed Chinchilla (Chinchilla brevicaudata).
  • Endangered:
    • Andean Cat (Oreailurus jacobita).
    • Chacoan Peccary (Catagonus wagneri).
    • Giant Armadillo (Priodontes maximus).
    • Giant Otter (Pteronura brasiliensis). 
    • Pacarana (Dinomys branickii).
    • Pygmy Short-tailed Opossum (Monodelphis kunsi).
  • Vulnerable:
    • Andean Hairy Armadillo (Chaetophractus nationi).
    • Bolivian Chinchilla Rat (Abrocoma boliviensis). (Endemic to Bolivia.)
    • Boto (Amazon River Dolphin) (Inia geoffrensis).
    • Bush Dog (Speothos venaticus).
    • Bushy-tailed Opossum (Glironia venusta).
    • Carriker's Round-eared Bat (Tonatia carrikeri).
    • Cochabamba Grass Mouse (Akodon siberiae). (Endemic to Bolivia.)
    • Dorothy's Slender Mouse Opossum (Marmosops dorothea). (Endemic to Bolivia.)
    • Giant Anteater (Myrmecophaga tridactyla).
    • Goeldi's Marmoset (Callimico goeldii).
    • Greater Pichi Ciego (Burmeister's Fairy Armadillo) (Chlamyphorus retusus).
    • Marsh Deer (Blastocerus dichotomus).
    • Osgood's Short-tailed Opossum (Monodelphis osgoodi).
    • Quechuan Hocicudo (Burrowing Mouse) (Oxymycterus hucucha). (Endemic to Bolivia.)
    • Spectacled Bear (Tremarctos ornatus).
    • Woolly Giant Rat (Kunsia tomentosus).

Environmental and Social Data

Mammals

Total number of species: 316 (Groombridge & Jenkins 1994)
Number of endemic species: 20 (Groombridge & Jenkins 1994)
Number of threatened species: 1996 and 2000: 24 (8 % of total species) (IUCN 1996, IUCN 2000) 

Biodiversity/Ecosystems

Bolivia contains the Beni Savannas Global 200 Ecoregion as well as portions of the Andean Yungas, Southwestern Amazonian Moist Forests, Bolivian Lowland Dry Forests, Cerrado Woodlands & Savannas, Pantanal Flooded Savannas, Upper Amazon & Orinoco Rivers & Streams, Brazilian Shield Amazonian Rivers & Streams, and High Andean Lakes Global 200 Ecoregions (Olson & Dinerstein 1998, Olson & Dinerstein 1999)
Bolivia contains portions of the Tropical Andes Global Biodiversity Hotspot (Cons. Intl. 1999a)

Population

Population in 1995: 7,428,000 (Natl. Geog. Soc. 1995)
Population density in 1995: 6.8 people/sq km (17.5 people/sq mi) (Natl. Geog. Soc. 1995)
Population in 1998: 7,826,352 (World Almanac 1999)
Average population growth rate, 1980 - 1990: 2.5 % (World Bank 1992)

Area/Land Use

Area: 1,098,580 sq km (424,164 sq mi) (Natl. Geog. Soc. 1995)
Percentages of primary world ecosystem types:

  • Major Wetland: 4 %
  • Desert and Semi-desert: 1 %
  • Polar and Alpine: 4 %
  • Grass and Shrub: 50 %
  • Crop and Settlements: 2 %
  • Interrupted Woods: 27 %
  • Major Forests: 13 %

(Groombridge 1992)

Percent of land area classified as the following degree of human disturbance: Low: 78 %; Medium: 18 %; High: 4 % (WRI 1994)

Protected Lands

Area: 98,610 sq km (38,063 sq mi) (Groombridge 1992)
Percent of land protected: 3.85 % totally protected; 5.12 % partially protected; 8.97 % totally or partially protected (Groombridge 1992)

Economy

Per capita GNP ($ U.S.) (1991): $654 (WRI 1994)
Per capita GDP ($ U.S.) (1996): $3,000 (World Almanac 1999)

Education

Percent of females in secondary education (1989): 31 % (World Bank 1992)
Percent adult literacy: Female: 71 % (1990), 46 % (1970); Male: 85 % (1990), 68 % (1970) (WRI 1994)


References and Links

References: Cons. Intl. 1999a, Groombridge 1992, Groombridge & Jenkins 1994, IUCN 1994, IUCN 1996, IUCN 2000, IUCN 2004Natl. Geog. Soc. 1995, Olson & Dinerstein 1998, Olson & Dinerstein 1999, World Almanac 1999, World Bank 1992, WRI 1994

General Links (After you get to one of these sites, click on the link for Bolivia): CIA World Factbook, Foreign Embassies of Washington, D.C., Library of Congress - Country Studies, University of Texas - Country Maps, Washington Post - Countries, World Resources Institute - Country ProfilesLinks for BoliviaThe Nature Conservancy - Bolivia, U.S. Library of Congress Country Study - Bolivia


Top of Page | Search This Site

Home | Rarest Mammals | Species Index | Species Groups Index | Country Index | Links


Last modified: February 19, 2006;

1999 - 2014 Animal Info. Endangered animals of the world. SJ Contact Us.