Animal Info - Brunei


Contents

Threatened Species, Environmental and Social Data (Mammals, Biodiversity/Ecosystems, Population, Area/Land Use, Protected Lands, Economy), References and Links


Threatened Species

Threatened Species: The following list includes all mammals which occur in Brunei and are rated as Critically Endangered (CR), Endangered (EN) or Vulnerable (VU) in the 2004 IUCN Red List of Threatened Animals


Environmental and Social Data

Mammals

Total number of species: 157 (Groombridge & Jenkins 1994)
Number of endemic species: 0 (Groombridge & Jenkins 1994)
Number of threatened species: 1996: 9 (6 % of total species) (IUCN 1996); 2000: 12 (8 % of total species) (IUCN 2000

Biodiversity/Ecosystems

Brunei contains portions of the Central Borneo Montane Forests, Northern Borneo-Palawan Moist Forests, and Sundaland Rivers & Swamps Global 200 Ecoregions (Olson & Dinerstein 1998, Olson & Dinerstein 1999)
Brunei contains portions of the Western Sunda Global Biodiversity Hotspot (Cons. Intl. 1999a)

Population

Population in 1995: 295,000 (Natl. Geog. Soc. 1995)
Population density in 1995: 51.2 people/sq km (132.5 people/sq mi) (Natl. Geog. Soc. 1995)
Population in 1998: 315,292 (World Almanac 1999)

Area/Land Use

Area: 5,765 sq km (2,226 sq mi) (Natl. Geog. Soc. 1995)
Percentages of primary world ecosystem types:

  • Major Wetland: 67 %
  • Crop and Settlements: 33 %

(Groombridge 1992)

Protected Lands

Area: 780 sq km (301 sq mi) (Groombridge 1992)
Percent of land protected: 8.48 % totally protected; 5.01 % partially protected; 13.49 % totally or partially protected (Groombridge 1992)

Economy

Per capita GNP ($ U.S.): $15,390 (Natl. Geog. Soc. 1995)
Per capita GDP ($ U.S.) (1996): $15,800 (World Almanac 1999)


References and Links

References: Cons. Intl. 1999a, Groombridge 1992, Groombridge & Jenkins 1994, IUCN 1994, IUCN 1996, IUCN 2000IUCN 2004, Natl. Geog. Soc. 1995, Olson & Dinerstein 1998, Olson & Dinerstein 1999, World Almanac 1999, WRI 1994

General Links (After you get to one of these sites, click on the link for Brunei): CIA World Factbook, Foreign Embassies of Washington, D.C., Library of Congress - Country Studies, University of Texas - Country Maps, Washington Post - Countries, World Resources Institute - Country ProfilesLinks for BruneiThe Government of Brunei Darussalam, United Nations Environment Program - Brunei


Top of Page | Search This Site

Home | Rarest Mammals | Species Index | Species Groups Index | Country Index | Links


Last modified: March 11, 2006;

1999 - 2014 Animal Info. Endangered animals of the world. SJ Contact Us.