Animal Info - Burkina Faso

(Also known as Burkina; formerly known as Upper Volta)


Contents

Threatened Species, Environmental and Social Data (Mammals, Population, Area/Land Use, Protected Lands, Economy, Education), References and Links


Threatened Species

Threatened Species: The following list includes all mammals which occur in Burkina Faso and are rated as Critically Endangered (CR), Endangered (EN) or Vulnerable (VU) in the 2004 IUCN Red List of Threatened Animals

  • Endangered:
    • Chimpanzee (Pan troglodytes).
    • Wild Dog (Lycaon pictus). 
  • Vulnerable:
    • African Elephant (Loxodonta africana).
    • Cheetah (Acinonyx jubatus).
    • Dorcas Gazelle (Gazella dorcas). 
    • Lion (Panthera leo).
    • Red-fronted Gazelle (Gazella rufifrons).
    • Spotted-necked Otter (Lutra maculicollis). 

Environmental and Social Data

Mammals

Total number of species: 147 (Groombridge & Jenkins 1994)
Number of endemic species: 1 (Groombridge & Jenkins 1994)
Number of threatened species: 1996: 6 (4 % of total species) (IUCN 1996); 2000: 8 (5 % of total species) (IUCN 2000)

Population

Population in 1995: 10,423,000 (Natl. Geog. Soc. 1995)
Population density in 1995: 38.0 people/sq km (98.5 people/sq mi) (Natl. Geog. Soc. 1995)
Population in 1998: 11,266,393 (World Almanac 1999)
Average population growth rate, 1980 - 1990: 2.6 % (World Bank 1992)

Area/Land Use

Area: 274,199 sq km (105,869 sq mi) (Natl. Geog. Soc. 1995)
Percentages of primary world ecosystem types:

  • Grass and Shrub: 93 %
  • Crop and Settlements: 3 %
  • Major Forests: 4 %

(Groombridge 1992)

Percent of land area classified as the following degree of human disturbance: Low: 12 %; Medium: 67 %; High: 21 % (WRI 1994)

Protected Lands

Area: 26,430 sq km (10,202 sq mi) (Groombridge 1992)
Percent of land protected: 1.78 % totally protected; 7.86 % partially protected; 9.64 % totally or partially protected (Groombridge 1992)

Economy

Per capita GNP ($ U.S.) (1991): $290 (WRI 1994)
Per capita GDP ($ U.S.) (1996): $740 (World Almanac 1999)

Education

Percent of females in secondary education (1989): 5 % (World Bank 1992)
Percent adult literacy: Female: 9 % (1990), 3 % (1970); Male: 28 % (1990), 13 % (1970) (WRI 1994)


References and Links

References: Groombridge 1992, Groombridge & Jenkins 1994, IUCN 1994, IUCN 1996, IUCN 2000, IUCN 2004, Natl. Geog. Soc. 1995, World Almanac 1999, World Bank 1992, WRI 1994

General Links (After you get to one of these sites, click on the link for Burkina Faso): CIA World Factbook, Foreign Embassies of Washington, D.C., Library of Congress - Country Studies, University of Texas - Country Maps, Washington Post - Countries, World Resources Institute - Country Profiles


Top of Page | Search This Site

Home | Rarest Mammals | Species Index | Species Groups Index | Country Index | Links


Last modified: March 28, 2005;

1999 - 2014 Animal Info. Endangered animals of the world. SJ Contact Us.