Animal Info - Central African Republic


Contents

Threatened Species, Environmental and Social Data (Mammals, Biodiversity/Ecosystems, Population, Area/Land Use, Protected Lands, Economy, Education), References and Links


Threatened Species

Threatened Species: The following list includes all mammals which occur in the Central African Republic and are rated as Critically Endangered (CR), Endangered (EN) or Vulnerable (VU) in the 2004 IUCN Red List of Threatened Animals

  • Endangered:
    • Chimpanzee (Pan troglodytes).
    • Giant African Water Shrew (Potamogale velox).
    • Gorilla (Gorilla gorilla).
    • Red Colobus (Procolobus badius). 
    • Wild Dog (Lycaon pictus).
  • Vulnerable:
    • African Elephant (Loxodonta africana).
    • African Golden Cat (Profelis aurata). 
    • Cheetah (Acinonyx jubatus).
    • Gounda Mouse (Mus goundae). (Endemic to Central African Republic.)
    • Hun Shrew (Crocidura attila).
    • Lion (Panthera leo).
    • Oubangui Mouse (Mus oubanguii). (Endemic to Central African Republic.)
    • Red-fronted Gazelle (Gazella rufifrons).
    • Spotted-necked Otter (Lutra maculicollis). 
  • Other

Environmental and Social Data

Mammals

Total number of species: 209 (Groombridge & Jenkins 1994)
Number of endemic species: 2 (Groombridge & Jenkins 1994)
Number of threatened species: 1996: 11 (5 % of total species) (IUCN 1996); 2000: 13 (6 % of total species) (IUCN 2000)

Biodiversity/Ecosystems

Central African Republic contains portions of the Western Congo Basin Forests, Northeastern Congo Basin Forests, and the Sudanian Savannas Global 200 Ecoregions (Olson & Dinerstein 1998, Olson & Dinerstein 1999)

Population

Population in 1995: 3,210,000 (Natl. Geog. Soc. 1995)
Population density in 1995: 5.2 people/sq km (13.3 people/sq mi) (Natl. Geog. Soc. 1995)
Population in 1998: 3,375,771 (World Almanac 1999)
Average population growth rate, 1980 - 1990: 2.7 % (World Bank 1992)

Area/Land Use

Area: 622,983 sq km (240,535 sq mi) (Natl. Geog. Soc. 1995)
Percentages of primary world ecosystem types:

  • Grass and Shrub: 59 %
  • Crop and Settlements: 5 %
  • Major Forests: 36 %

(Groombridge 1992)

Percent of land area classified as the following degree of human disturbance: Low: 46 %; Medium: 44 %; High: 10 % (WRI 1994)

Protected Lands

Area: 58,560 sq km (22,604 sq mi) (Groombridge 1992)
Percent of land protected: 5.1 % totally protected; 4.27 % partially protected; 9.37 % totally or partially protected (Groombridge 1992)

Economy

Per capita GNP ($ U.S.) (1991): $407 (WRI 1994)
Per capita GDP ($ U.S.) (1996): $800 (World Almanac 1999)

Education

Percent of females in secondary education (1989): 6 % (World Bank 1992)
Percent adult literacy: Female: 25 % (1990), 6 % (1970); Male: 52 % (1990), 26 % (1970) (WRI 1994)


References and Links

References: Groombridge 1992, Groombridge & Jenkins 1994, IUCN 1994, IUCN 1996, IUCN 2000, IUCN 2004, Natl. Geog. Soc. 1995, Olson & Dinerstein 1998, Olson & Dinerstein 1999, World Almanac 1999, World Bank 1992, WRI 1994

General Links (After you get to one of these sites, click on the link for Central African Republic): CIA World Factbook, Foreign Embassies of Washington, D.C., Library of Congress - Country Studies, University of Texas - Country Maps, Washington Post - Countries, World Resources Institute - Country ProfilesLinks for Central African RepublicCARPE (Central African Regional Program for the Environment), World Wildlife Fund - Field Expeditions - Central African Republic


Top of Page | Search This Site

Home | Rarest Mammals | Species Index | Species Groups Index | Country Index | Links


Last modified: February 19, 2006;

1999 - 2014 Animal Info. Endangered animals of the world. SJ Contact Us.