Animal Info - Côte d'Ivoire

(Formerly Ivory Coast)


Contents

Threatened Species, Environmental and Social Data (Mammals, Biodiversity/Ecosystems, Population, Area/Land Use, Protected Lands, Economy, Education), References and Links


Threatened Species

Threatened Species: The following list includes all mammals which occur in Côte d'Ivoire and are rated as Critically Endangered (CR), Endangered (EN) or Vulnerable (VU) in the 2004 IUCN Red List of Threatened Animals

  • Endangered:
    • African Elephant (Loxodonta africana).
    • Chimpanzee (Pan troglodytes).
    • Diana Monkey (Cercopithecus diana). 
    • Liberian Mongoose (Liberiictis kuhni).
    • Nimba Otter Shrew (Micropotamogale lamottei).
    • Red Colobus (Procolobus badius). 
    • Wild Dog (Lycaon pictus).
    • Wimmer's Shrew (Crocidura wimmeri). 
  • Vulnerable:
    • Aellen's Roundleaf Bat (Hipposideros marisae).
    • African Golden Cat (Profelis aurata). 
    • Buettikofer's Epauletted Fruit Bat (Epomops buettikoferi).
    • Jentink's Duiker (Cephalophus jentinki).
    • Lion (Panthera leo).
    • Pied Bat (Chalinolobus superbus).
    • Pygmy Hippopotamus (Hexaprotodon liberiensis).
    • Spotted-necked Otter (Lutra maculicollis). 
    • West African Manatee (Trichechus senegalensis).
    • White-thighed Black-and-white Colobus (Colobus vellerosus).
    • Zebra Duiker (Cephalophus zebra).

Environmental and Social Data

Mammals

Total number of species: 230 (Groombridge & Jenkins 1994)
Number of endemic species: 1 (Groombridge & Jenkins 1994)
Number of threatened species: 1996: 16 (7.0 % of total species) (IUCN 1996); 2000: 18 (8 % of total species) (IUCN 2000

Biodiversity/Ecosystems

Côte d'Ivoire contains portions of the Guinean Moist Forests and Guinean-Congolian Coast Mangroves Global 200 Ecoregions (Olson & Dinerstein 1998, Olson & Dinerstein 1999)
Côte d'Ivoire contains portions of the Guinean Forests of West Africa Global Biodiversity Hotspot (Cons. Intl. 1999a)

Population

Population in 1995: 14,253,000 (Natl. Geog. Soc. 1995)
Population density in 1995: 44.2 people/sq km (114.5 people/sq mi) (Natl. Geog. Soc. 1995)
Population in 1998: 15,446,231 (World Almanac 1999)
Average population growth rate, 1980 - 1990: 3.8 % (World Bank 1992)

Area/Land Use

Area: 322,464 sq km (124,504 sq mi) (Natl. Geog. Soc. 1995)
Percentages of primary world ecosystem types:

  • Other Coastal Aquatic: 3 %
  • Grass and Shrub: 37 %
  • Crop and Settlements: 8 %
  • Interrupted Woods: 12 %
  • Major Forests: 39 %

(Groombridge 1992)

Percent of land area classified as the following degree of human disturbance: Low: 23 %; Medium: 38 %; High: 39 % (WRI 1994)

Protected Lands

Area: 19,930 sq km (7,693 sq mi) (Groombridge 1992)
Percent of land protected: 5.86 % totally protected; 0.32 % partially protected; 6.18 % totally or partially protected (Groombridge 1992)

Economy

Per capita GNP ($ U.S.) (1991): $677 (WRI 1994)
Per capita GDP ($ U.S.) (1996): $1,620 (World Almanac 1999)

Education

Percent of females in secondary education (1989): 12 % (World Bank 1992)
Percent adult literacy: Female: 40 % (1990), 10 % (1970); Male: 67 % (1990), 26 % (1970) (WRI 1994)


References and Links

References: Cons. Intl. 1999a, Groombridge 1992, Groombridge & Jenkins 1994, IUCN 1994, IUCN 1996, IUCN 2000, IUCN 2004, Natl. Geog. Soc. 1995, Olson & Dinerstein 1998, Olson & Dinerstein 1999, World Almanac 1999, World Bank 1992, WRI 1994

General Links (After you get to one of these sites, click on the link for Côte d'Ivoire): CIA World Factbook, Foreign Embassies of Washington, D.C., Library of Congress - Country Studies, University of Texas - Country Maps, Washington Post - Countries, World Resources Institute - Country Profiles


Top of Page | Search This Site

Home | Rarest Mammals | Species Index | Species Groups Index | Country Index | Links


Last modified: February 19, 2006;

© 1999 - 2014 Animal Info. Endangered animals of the world. SJ Contact Us.