Animal Info - Pakistan


Contents

Threatened Species, Environmental and Social Data (Mammals, Biodiversity/Ecosystems, Population, Area/Land Use, Protected Lands, Economy, Education), References and Links


Threatened Species

Threatened Species: The following list includes all mammals which occur in Pakistan and are rated as Critically Endangered (CR), Endangered (EN) or Vulnerable (VU) in the 2005 IUCN Red List of Threatened Animals

  • Endangered:
    • Blue Whale (Balaenoptera musculus).
    • Fin Whale (Balaenoptera physalus).
    • Hotson's Mouse-like Hamster (Calomyscus hotsoni). (Endemic to Pakistan.)
    • Indus River Dolphin (Platanista gangetica minor).
    • Markhor (Capra falconeri).
    • Snow Leopard (Uncia uncia).
    • Woolly Flying Squirrel (Eupetaurus cinereus).
  • Vulnerable:
    • Argali (Ovis ammon). 
    • Asiatic Black Bear (Ursus thibetanus).
    • Blackbuck (Antilope cervicapra).
    • Dugong (Dugong dugon). 
    • Eurasian Otter (Lutra lutra). 
    • Fishing Cat (Prionailurus viverrinus).
    • Geoffroy's Bat (Myotis emarginatus). 
    • Humpback Whale (Megaptera novaeangliae).
    • Lesser Horseshoe Bat (Rhinolophus hipposideros). 
    • Mediterranean Horseshoe Bat (Rhinolophus euryale). 
    • Mouflon (or Urial) (Ovis orientalis).
    • Sind Bat (Eptesicus nasutus).
    • Smooth-coated Otter (Lutrogale perspicillata). 
    • Wild Goat (Capra aegagrus).

Environmental and Social Data

Mammals

Total number of species: 151 (Groombridge & Jenkins 1994)
Number of endemic species: 3 (Groombridge & Jenkins 1994)
Number of threatened species: 1996: 13 (9 % of total species) (IUCN 1996); 2000: 21 (14 % of total species) (IUCN 2000

Biodiversity/Ecosystems

Pakistan contains portions of the Middle Asian Mountains Temperate Forests, Western Himalayan Temperate Forests, Indus River Delta & Rann of Kutch, and Arabian Sea & Persian Gulf Global 200 Ecoregions (Olson & Dinerstein 1998, Olson & Dinerstein 1999)

Population

Population in 1995: 129,700,000 (Natl. Geog. Soc. 1995)
Population density in 1995: 162.9 people/sq km (422.0 people/sq mi) (Natl. Geog. Soc. 1995)
Population in 1998: 135,135,195 (World Almanac 1999)
Average population growth rate, 1980 - 1990: 3.1 % (World Bank 1992)

Area/Land Use

Area: 796,095 sq km (307,374 sq mi) (Natl. Geog. Soc. 1995)
Percentages of primary world ecosystem types:

  • Other Coastal Aquatic: 1 %
  • Major Wetland: 2 %
  • Desert and Semi-desert: 21 %
  • Polar and Alpine: 7 %
  • Grass and Shrub: 46X %
  • Crop and Settlements: 13 %
  • Interrupted Woods: 9 %

(Groombridge 1992)

Percent of land area classified as the following degree of human disturbance: Low: 5 %, Medium: 80 %, High: 15 % (WRI 1994)

Protected Lands

Area: 36,550 sq km (14,108 sq mi) (Groombridge 1992)
Percent of land protected: 1.1 % totally protected, 3.45 % partially protected, 4.55 % totally or partially protected (Groombridge 1992)

Economy

Per capita GNP ($ U.S.) (1991): $383 (WRI 1994)
Per capita GDP ($ U.S.) (1996): $2,300 (World Almanac 1999)

Education

Percent of females in secondary education (1989): 12 % (World Bank 1992)
Percent adult literacy: Female: 21 % (1990), 11 % (1970); Male: 47 % (1990), 30 % (1970) (WRI 1994)


References and Links

References: Groombridge 1992, Groombridge & Jenkins 1994, IUCN 1994, IUCN 1996, IUCN 2000IUCN 2003a, Natl. Geog. Soc. 1995, Olson & Dinerstein 1998, Olson & Dinerstein 1999, World Almanac 1999, World Bank 1992, WRI 1994

General Links (After you get to one of these sites, click on the link for Pakistan): CIA World Factbook, Foreign Embassies of Washington, D.C., Library of Congress - Country Studies, University of Texas - Country Maps, Washington Post - Countries, World Resources Institute - Country ProfilesLinks for PakistanUnited Nations Development Program: Pakistan, World Wide Web Virtual Library - Pakistan, WWF - Pakistan


Top of Page | Search This Site

Home | Rarest Mammals | Species Index | Species Groups Index | Country Index | Links


Last modified: August 2, 2006;

1999 - 2014 Animal Info. Endangered animals of the world. SJ Contact Us.