Animal Info - Senegal

Contents

Threatened Species, Environmental and Social Data (Mammals, Biodiversity/Ecosystems, Population, Area/Land Use, Protected Lands, Economy, Education), References and Links


Threatened Species

Threatened Species: The following list includes all mammals which occur in Senegal and are rated as Critically Endangered (CR), Endangered (EN) or Vulnerable (VU) in the 2004 IUCN Red List of Threatened Animals

  • Endangered:
    • Chimpanzee (Pan troglodytes).
    • Dama Gazelle (Gazella dama). (Re-introduced.)
    • Red Colobus (Procolobus badius). 
    • Wild Dog (Lycaon pictus).
  • Vulnerable:
    • African Elephant (Loxodonta africana).
    • African Golden Cat (Profelis aurata). 
    • Cheetah (Acinonyx jubatus). 
    • Dorcas Gazelle (Gazella dorcas). 
    • Felou Gundi (Felovia vae).
    • Harbor Porpoise (Phocoena phocoena).
    • Lagos Serotine (Bat) (Eptesicus platyops).
    • Lion (Panthera leo).
    • Red-fronted Gazelle (Gazella rufifrons).
    • West African Manatee (Trichechus senegalensis).
    • Western Barbastelle (Bat) (Barbastella barbastellus). 

Environmental and Social Data

Mammals

Total number of species: 155 (Groombridge & Jenkins 1994)
Number of endemic species: 1 (Groombridge & Jenkins 1994)
Number of threatened species: 1996: 13 (8 % of total species) (IUCN 1996); 2000: 14 (9 % of total species) (IUCN 2000

Biodiversity/Ecosystems

Senegal contains portions of the Sahelian Flooded Savannas, Senegal & Gambia River Mangroves & Wetlands, and Western Guinea Current Marine Ecosystems Global 200 Ecoregions (Olson & Dinerstein 1998, Olson & Dinerstein 1999)

Population

Population in 1995: 8,312,000 (Natl. Geog. Soc. 1995)
Population density in 1995: 42.3 people/sq km (109.4 people/sq mi) (Natl. Geog. Soc. 1995)
Population in 1998: 9,723,149 (World Almanac 1999)
Average population growth rate, 1980 - 1990: 2.9 % (World Bank 1992)

Area/Land Use

Area: 196,723 sq km (75,955 sq mi) (Natl. Geog. Soc. 1995)
Percentages of primary world ecosystem types:

  • Other Coastal Aquatic: 2 %
  • Grass and Shrub: 58 %
  • Crop and Settlements: 38 %
  • Major Forests: 2 %

(Groombridge 1992)

Percent of land area classified as the following degree of human disturbance: Low: 1 %, Medium: 48 %, High: 52 % (WRI 1994)

Protected Lands

Area: 21,810 sq km (8,419 sq mi) (Groombridge 1992)
Percent of land protected: 5.15 % totally protectedm, 5.94 % partially protected, 11.09 % totally or partially protected (Groombridge 1992)

Economy

Per capita GNP ($ U.S.) (1991): $736 (WRI 1994)
Per capita GDP ($ U.S.) (1996): $1,700 (World Almanac 1999)

Education

Percent of females in secondary education (1989): 11 % (World Bank 1992)
Percent adult literacy: Female: 25 % (1990), 5 % (1970); Male: 52 % (1990), 18 % (1970) (WRI 1994)


References and Links

References: Groombridge 1992, Groombridge & Jenkins 1994, IUCN 1994, IUCN 1996, IUCN 2000, IUCN 2004, Natl. Geog. Soc. 1995, Olson & Dinerstein 1998, Olson & Dinerstein 1999, World Almanac 1999, World Bank 1992, WRI 1994, Wright 1995

General Links (After you get to one of these sites, click on the link for Senegal): CIA World Factbook, Foreign Embassies of Washington, D.C., Library of Congress - Country Studies, University of Texas - Country Maps, Washington Post - Countries, World Resources Institute - Country Profiles


Top of Page | Search This Site

Home | Rarest Mammals | Species Index | Species Groups Index | Country Index | Links


Last modified: February 19, 2006;

1999 - 2014 Animal Info. Endangered animals of the world. SJ Contact Us.