Animal Info - Taiwan


Contents

Threatened Species, Environmental and Social Data (Mammals, Biodiversity/Ecosystems, Population, Area/Land Use, Protected Lands, Economly), References and Links


Threatened Species

Threatened Species: The following list includes all mammals which occur in Taiwan and are rated as Critically Endangered (CR), Endangered (EN) or Vulnerable (VU) in the 2004 IUCN Red List of Threatened Animals

  • Vulnerable:
    • Asiatic Black Bear (Ursus thibetanus).
    • Blue Whale (Balaenoptera musculus).
    • Clouded Leopard (Neofelis nebulosa). 
    • Dugong (Dugong dugon).
    • Eurasian Otter (Lutra lutra). 
    • Fin Whale (Balaenoptera physalus).
    • Formosan Serow (Capricornis swinhoei). (Endemic to Taiwan.)
    • Harbor Porpoise (Phocoena phocoena). 
    • Northern Right Whale (Eubalaena glacialis).
    • Sei Whale (Balaenoptera borealis).
    • Taiwan Big-eared Bat (Plecotus taivanus). (Endemic to Taiwan.)
    • Taiwan Macaque (Macaca cyclopis). 
    • Taiwan Tube-nosed Bat (Murina puta). (Endemic to Taiwan.)
    • Taiwan Vole (Volemys kikuchii). (Endemic to Taiwan.)

Environmental and Social Data

Mammals

Total number of species: 63 (Groombridge & Jenkins 1994)
Number of endemic species: 10 (Groombridge & Jenkins 1994)
Number of threatened species: 1996: 10 (16 % of total species) (IUCN 1996); 2000: 14 (22% of total species) (IUCN 2000

Biodiversity/Ecosystems

Taiwan contains the Taiwan Montane Forests Global 200 Ecoregion (Olson & Dinerstein 1998, Olson & Dinerstein 1999)

Population

Population in 1994: 21,298,930 (Wright 1995)
Population density in 1994: 592.0 people/sq km (1,533.2 people/sq mi) (Wright 1995)
Population in 1998: 21,908,135 (World Almanac 1999)

Area/Land Use

Area: 35,980 sq km (13,892 sq mi) (Wright 1995)
Percentages of primary world ecosystem types:

  • Other Coastal Aquatic: 29 %
  • Crop and Settlements: 12 %
  • Interrupted Woods: 6 %
  • Major Forests: 53 %

(Groombridge 1992)

Protected Lands

Area: 2,890 sq km (1,116 sq mi) (Groombridge 1992)
Percent of land protected: 5.49 % totally protected, 2.53 % partially protected, 8.02 % totally or partially protected (Groombridge 1992)

Economy

Per capita GDP ($ U.S.) (1996): $14,700 (World Almanac 1999)


References and Links

References: Groombridge 1992, Groombridge & Jenkins 1994, IUCN 1994, IUCN 1996, IUCN 2000IUCN 2004, Olson & Dinerstein 1998, Olson & Dinerstein 1999, World Almanac 1999

General Links (After you get to one of these sites, click on the link for Taiwan): CIA World Factbook, Foreign Embassies of Washington, D.C., Library of Congress - Country Studies, University of Texas - Country Maps, Washington Post - Countries, World Resources Institute - Country Profiles


Top of Page | Search This Site

Home | Rarest Mammals | Species Index | Species Groups Index | Country Index | Links


Last modified: November 8, 2005;

1999 - 2014 Animal Info. Endangered animals of the world. SJ Contact Us.