Animal Info - Uganda

Contents

Threatened Species, Environmental and Social Data (Mammals, Biodiversity/Ecosystems, Population, Area/Land Use, Protected Lands, Economy, Education), References and Links


Threatened Species

Threatened Species: The following list includes all mammals which occur in Uganda and are rated as Critically Endangered (CR), Endangered (EN) or Vulnerable (VU) in the 2004 IUCN Red List of Threatened Animals

  • Endangered:
    • Chimpanzee (Pan troglodytes).
    • Giant African Water Shrew (Potamogale velox).
    • Moon Shrew (Crocidura selina). (Endemic to Uganda.)
    • Mountain Gorilla (Gorilla beringei). 
    • Ruwenzori Otter Shrew (Micropotamogale ruwenzorii).
    • Wild Dog (Lycaon pictus). 
  • Vulnerable:
    • African Elephant (Loxodonta africana).
    • African Golden Cat (Profelis aurata). 
    • Ankole Mole-rat (Tachyoryctes ankoliae). (Endemic to Uganda.)
    • Carruther's Mountain Squirrel (Funisciurus carruthersi).
    • Checkered Sengi (Rhynchocyon cirnei).
    • Cheetah (Acinonyx jubatus).
    • Hopkins's Groove-toothed Swamp Rat (Pelomys hopkinsi).
    • Issel's Groove-toothed Swamp Rat (Pelomys isseli). (Endemic to Uganda.)
    • Jackson's Mongoose (Bdeogale jacksoni).
    • Large-eared Free-tailed Bat (Otomops martiensseni).
    • Lion (Panthera leo).
    • Montane Mouse Shrew (Myosorex blarina).
    • Montane Shaggy Rat (Dasymys montanus). (Endemic to Uganda.)
    • Ruwenzori Shrew (Ruwenzorisorex suncoides).
    • Spotted-necked Otter (Lutra maculicollis). 

Environmental and Social Data

Mammals

Total number of species: 338 (Groombridge & Jenkins 1994)
Number of endemic species: 6 (Groombridge & Jenkins 1994)
Number of threatened species: 1996: 18 (5 % of total species) (IUCN 1996); 2000: 20 (6 % of total species) (IUCN 2000)  20

Biodiversity/Ecosystems

Uganda contains portions of the Albertine Rift Highland Forests, East African Highland Forests, Northeastern Congo Basin Forests, Sudanian Savannas, East African Acacia Savannas, East African Moorlands, and Rift Valley Lakes Global 200 Ecoregions (Olson & Dinerstein 1998, Olson & Dinerstein 1999)

Population

Population in 1995: 21,297,000 (Natl. Geog. Soc. 1995)
Population density in 1995: 90.2 people/sq km (233.7 people/sq mi) (Natl. Geog. Soc. 1995)
Population in 1998: 22,167,195 (World Almanac 1999)
Average population growth rate, 1980 - 1990: 2.5 % (World Bank 1992)

Area/Land Use

Area: 236,036 sq km (91,134 sq mi) (Natl. Geog. Soc. 1995)
Percentages of primary world ecosystem types:

  • Other Coastal Aquatic: 15 %
  • Grass and Shrub: 48 %
  • Crop and Settlements: 15 %
  • Interrupted Woods: 14 %
  • Major Forests: 9 %

(Groombridge 1992)

Percent of land area classified as the following degree of human disturbance: Low: 45 %, Medium: 15 %, High: 40 % (WRI 1994)

Protected Lands

Area: 18,710 sq km (7,222 sq mi) (Groombridge 1992)
Percent of land protected: 3.52 % totally protected, 4.38 % partially protected, 7.9 % totally or partially protected (Groombridge 1992)

Economy

Per capita GNP ($ U.S.) (1991): $163 (WRI 1994)
Per capita GDP ($ U.S.) (1996): $900 (World Almanac 1999)

Education

Percent adult literacy: Female: 35 % (1990), 30 % (1970); Male: 62 % (1990), 52 % (1970) (WRI 1994)


References and Links

References: Groombridge 1992, Groombridge & Jenkins 1994, IUCN 1996, IUCN 2000, IUCN 2004, Natl. Geog. Soc. 1995, Olson & Dinerstein 1998, Olson & Dinerstein 1999, World Almanac 1999, World Bank 1992, WRI 1994

General Links (After you get to one of these sites, click on the link for Uganda): CIA World Factbook, Foreign Embassies of Washington, D.C., Library of Congress - Country Studies, University of Texas - Country Maps, Washington Post - Countries, World Resources Institute - Country Profiles 


Top of Page | Search This Site

Home | Rarest Mammals | Species Index | Species Groups Index | Country Index | Links


Last modified: March 11, 2006;

1999 - 2014 Animal Info. Endangered animals of the world. SJ Contact Us.