Animal Info - Myanmar

(Formerly Burma)


Contents

Threatened Species, Environmental and Social Data (Mammals, Biodiversity/Ecosystems, Population, Area/Land Use, Protected Lands, Economy, Education), References and Links


Threatened Species

Threatened Species: The following list includes all mammals which occur in Myanmar and are rated as Critically Endangered (CR), Endangered (EN) or Vulnerable (VU) in the 2004 IUCN Red List of Threatened Animals

  • Critically Endangered:
  • Endangered:
    • Asian Elephant (Elephas maximus).
    • Banteng (Bos javanicus).
    • Blue Whale (Balaenoptera musculus).
    • Capped Leaf Monkey (Trachypithecus pileatus). 
    • Fin Whale (Balaenoptera physalus).
    • Hoolock Gibbon (Bunipithecus hoolock). (Previously Hylobates hoolock.)
    • Particolored Flying Squirrel (Hylopetes alboniger).
    • Red Panda (Lesser Panda) (Ailurus fulgens).
    • Tiger (Panthera tigris).
  • Vulnerable:
    • Anderson's Squirrel (Callosciurus quinquestriatus).
    • Asiatic Black Bear (Ursus thibetanus).
    • Asiatic Golden Cat (Catopuma temminckii). 
    • Assamese Macaque (Macaca assamensis).
    • Back-striped Weasel (Mustela strigidorsa).
    • Clouded Leopard (Neofelis nebulosa).
    • Dhole (Cuon alpinus).
    • Dugong (Dugong dugon).
    • Eld's Deer (Cervus eldi).
    • Eurasian Otter (Lutra lutra). 
    • Fishing Cat (Prionailurus viverrinus).
    • Flat-headed Cat (Prionailurus planiceps). 
    • Gaur (Bos frontalis).
    • Irrawaddy Squirrel (Callosciurus pygerythrus). 
    • Long-tailed Goral (Naemorhedus caudatus). 
    • Mainland Serow (Capricornis sumatraensis).
    • Malayan Porcupine (Hystrix brachyura).
    • Malayan Tapir (Tapirus indicus).
    • Marbled Cat (Pardofelis marmorata).
    • Northern Pigtail Macaque (Macaca leonina).
    • Red Climbing Mouse (Vernaya fulva).
    • Red Goral (Naemorhedus baileyi).
    • Sikkim Rat (Rattus sikkimensis).
    • Smooth-coated Otter (Lutra perspicillata).
    • Sperm Whale (Physeter catodon).
    • Stumptail Macaque (Macaca arctoides).
    • Takin (Budorcas taxicolor).
  • Other:

Environmental and Social Data

Mammals

Total number of species: 251 (Groombridge & Jenkins 1994)
Number of endemic species: 6 (Groombridge & Jenkins 1994)
Number of threatened species: 1996: 31 (12 % of total species) (IUCN 1996); 2000: 37 (15 % of total species) (IUCN 2000)

Biodiversity/Ecosystems

Myanmar contains the Lake Inle Global 200 Ecoregion as well as portions of the Kayah-Karan/ Tenasserim Moist Forests, Northern Indochina Subtropical Moist Forests, Northeastern India & Myanmar Hill Forests, Eastern Himalayan Broadleaf & Conifer Forests, Eastern Himalayan Alpine Meadows, and Mekong & Salween Rivers Global 200 Ecoregions (Olson & Dinerstein 1998, Olson & Dinerstein 1999)

Population

Population in 1995: 44,759,000 (Natl. Geog. Soc. 1995)
Population density in 1995: 66.2 people/sq km (171.3 people/sq mi) (Natl. Geog. Soc. 1995)
Population in 1998: 47,305,319 (World Almanac 1999)
Average population growth rate, 1980 - 1990: 2.1 % (World Bank 1992)

Area/Land Use

Area: 676,552 sq km (261,218 sq mi) (Natl. Geog. Soc. 1995)
Percentages of primary world ecosystem types:

  • Other Coastal Aquatic: 5 %
  • Polar and Alpine: 1 %
  • Grass and Shrub: 2 %
  • Crop and Settlements: 16 %
  • Interrupted Woods: 23 %
  • Major Forests: 52 %

(Groombridge 1992)

Percent of land area classified as the following degree of human disturbance: Low: 7 %, Medium: 47 %, High: 45 % (WRI 1994)

Protected Lands

Area: 1,730 sq km (668 sq mi) (Groombridge 1992)
Percent of land protected: 0.24 % totally protected, 0.02 % partially protected, 0.26 % totally or partially protected (Groombridge 1992)

Economy

Per capita GDP ($ U.S.) (1996): $1,120 (World Almanac 1999)

Education

Percent of females in secondary education (1989): 23 % (World Bank 1992)
Percent adult literacy: Female: 72 % (1990), 57 % (1970); Male: 89 % (1990), 85 % (1970) (WRI 1994)


References and Links

References: Groombridge 1992, Groombridge & Jenkins 1994, IUCN 1994, IUCN 1996, IUCN 2000IUCN 2004, Natl. Geog. Soc. 1995, Olson & Dinerstein 1998, Olson & Dinerstein 1999, World Almanac 1999, World Bank 1992, WRI 1994

General Links (After you get to one of these sites, click on the link for Myanmar): CIA World Factbook, Foreign Embassies of Washington, D.C., Library of Congress - Country Studies, University of Texas - Country Maps, Washington Post - Countries, World Resources Institute - Country ProfilesLinks for MyanmarMyanmar - The Golden Land (English, French, German, Japanese), United Nations Environment Program - Myanmar, World Wide Web Virtual Library - Myanmar


Top of Page | Search This Site

Home | Rarest Mammals | Species Index | Species Groups Index | Country Index | Links


Last modified: March 11, 2006;

1999 - 2014 Animal Info. Endangered animals of the world. SJ Contact Us.